Health and Beauty
How To Give Yourself A Manicure
Whether you prefer your nails to be long or short, they can still look stunning with a little know-how.
1. Wash and dry your hands.
2. Using a double-sided emery board, file nails using a gentle stroke. Avoid corners of your nails as this can weaken them.
3. Begin to shape your nails. The most popular shape to use is oval, but choose what is most suited to your hand and finger shape.
4. Check to see how well you have done. Run your nails over an old pair of pantyhose. Your nails should not snag the hose.
5. Apply a softener to your cuticles. Allow to site for a minute or so.
6.Transfer hands to a bowl of warm water and soak for an additional few minutes.
7. Gently push back the cuticles. This should not be painful. If hangnails are present, carefully clip them.
8. Apply hand lotion and begin to massage the palm of your hand with the thumb of your other hand. This will help to circulate the blood. Work your way over the remainder of the hand and then repeat giving equal time to the other hand.
9. Before color is applied to nails, they must be cleaned and the easiest way to do this is with an orange stick that has been wrapped with cotton. Dip into nail polish remover and then rub over the surface of the nail. Check the nail for any creamy residue. When none remains, your nails will be ready for polishing.
10. Time for color. Pick up a small amount of polish on your brush and paint one stroke down the center of your nail. Your brush should hold just enough color to accomplish this. Stroke the sides of the nail and you are done. The nail should be completely colored in three strokes. Allow to set for a minute or so before applying the second coat.
11. Wait until polish is set (dry to the touch) and then apply the top coat. Don't skip this step as it not only adds life to your manicure, it will protect your nails as well.
12. Sanitize all of your equipment with alcohol and when they are dry, store them away until the next manicure.
Nail polish can be stored in the fridge.
If your nail polish is too thick, try thinning with a polish thinner.
To prevent the cap from sticking, coat it with a little Vaseline to prevent this from happening.