Health and Beauty
Saving Soles: The How & Why Of Foot Care
If you're like most people, you don't pay enough attention to footwear and foot care.
Most of us walk around in shoes that have lost their shape and need new heels. We tend not to realize that the "savings" we realize from neglecting what we walk in represents a false economy. Posture, spinal problems and back pain can all be affected by shoes.
Here are some simple things that you can do to improve your quality of life, inexpensively, from the bottom up:
* Regularly reheel your shoes, especially if you wear out the heels at an angle.
* If you do wear out your heels at an angle, consider using "leveler" inserts, sold inexpensively at shoe repair shops.
* Buy cushion inserts and replace them when they wear out.
* Use shoe trees when storing your shoes, to help them keep their shape.
* Rotate regularly between different pairs of shoes.
* Select footwear appropriate for the activity.
* Consult with a podiatrist (foot doctor) or at least your primary care physician, if you experience any problems with your feet.
Taking good care of your feet is one of the best investments you can make in your good health. This is one area in which a few dollars well spent can save you hundreds or even thousands in medical bills down the road.